Saturday, May 16, 2015

Single. Adventurous. Happy.

Singledom. I see and read articles all the time that are titled something to the effect of: 15 Reasons You're With the Man of Your Dreams, 10 Signs You're One Of THOSE Couples, 200 Date Ideas to Keep It Fresh. I see those articles, and I think "Man that sounds nice." It has been 7 years since I've been in a relationship that lasted any more than 3 months. Think about that. 7 years is a LONG time. It's 84 months, 364 weeks and 2556 days of mostly living life as a single grown ass woman. Instead of weeping about the sadness surrounded with all of that, I choose to shed light on the positives surrounding the past 7 years of being single in today's blog. The following is a list of thing's I've done in the past 7 years of my singledom. Please note I will soon be able to add: Traveled to Ireland on a solo trip for a wedding.

I/I've:
  1. Graduated college with a magical degree that I chose for better, for worse.
  2. Gave drunk strangers rides home from downtown.
  3. Received a ride from a sweet stranger (still friends on FB) to both Walmart and home one night when I was drunk. 
  4. Gone on an adventure that took me to California.
  5. Navigated myself (Sometimes pulling over an crying out of being scared and lost) through an entire year of living in Los Angeles, CA. 
  6. Started eating Sweet Potatoes, asparagus, spinach, and the occasional broccoli.
  7. Worked for Mary Ann of Gilligan's Island and had the cajones to quit when I wasn't being treated with respect. 
  8. Drove across the country by myself, stopping in the middle of the night to pee in the middle of the desert, because I hadn't planned ahead. 
  9. Danced in the rain with friends.
  10. Joined a couple of different bands.
  11. Worked on being ok with my naked body. 
  12. Started a career. 
  13. Grown unafraid of going to movies alone.
  14. Attended weddings solo
  15. Moved about 10 times, only keeping what would fit in my car.
  16. Donated money to some good causes.
  17. Started exercising more.
  18. Gone to concerts
  19. Planned trips and flew by myself. 
  20. Reunited with an old flame.
  21. Went to the doctor. 
  22. Made some of the BEST friends a girl could ask for. 
  23. Performed in probably the hardest play of my life, tackling pages and more pages of monologue after monologue. 
  24. Found some satisfaction and solace in what my singing voice can and can't do, after years of being criticized for it. 
  25. Performed in a Sketch comedy troupe.
  26. Took Vicodin and vodka- then survived. Saw a couch come alive on 1/2 an Ambien.
  27. Went drunk bicycling and failed majorly. 
  28. Was celibate for well over a year.
  29. Crashed a stranger's wedding.
  30. Had my car broken into twice.- Once losing half of my belongings. 
  31. Got fired.
  32. Learned to play craps, black jack, and Texas Hold'em
  33. Volunteered!!
  34. Substitute taught all grades- helped to teach me patience.
  35. Became Aunt E
  36. Threw some pretty great parties.
  37. Had some awesome roommates. 
  38. Went on Motorcycle rides. 
  39. Took some nearly naked photos. 
  40. Gave my heart away a little too soon a couple of times. 
  41. Learned to have more respect for my parents. 
  42. Found out my dad is actually a way cooler person than I ever gave him credit before. 
  43. Was there for a friend when she really needed me. 
  44. Driven the distance to see my friends, when they were visiting in my state. 
  45. Realized that it's worth looking into, when you find that chemistry with someone- even if it ends terribly, in my experience it's always been worth sharing your time and seeing where it goes. 
  46. Experienced an 8 hour Megabus trip. 
  47. Saw a male stripper show. 
  48. Kissed a stranger on New Years Eve.
  49. Slept through New Years Eve 3 times. 
  50. Made my own Thanksgiving feast for one. 
  51. Actually completed some of those Pinterest pins
  52. Started asking myself "Do I WANT that, or do I NEED that?" before I make purchases.-Sometimes ignoring the fact that the answer to that question was want. 
  53. Started teaching myself to play guitar.
  54. Became aware of my negative traits/qualities.  
  55. Decided to endeavor to leave people happy they met me.
Being a single person for an extended period of time has many effects on a person. For me, I question all the time, my love-ability. I question my selfishness. I question my beauty inside and out. I question why it is that men can't commit to me. I question my adventurous spirit getting in the way of relationships. There are so many things that we could examine here. However, I've learned that I am who I am. I strive to be a better person, and to do more for others than I do for myself. I am ok with who I am: a 28 year old single lady who lives life full. I don't sit at home sad about my life. I go out and have adventures, have conversations with strangers, I make memories. 

While this blog is focused on my dating stories, usually a bit outrageous in nature, I want you to know that I'm ok with my singledom. I haven't been asked out on a formal date in a while, or if it WAS a formal date, I wasn't really sure. I want you to know that I have a handful of wonderful men in my life. Shout out to YOU guys. I enjoy spending my time with these men. Men who come to my aid when I can't quite do it myself. Men who I have great respect for. When I go out alone with one of  these men, people always get around to asking if we are dating.  Can't we just be a couple of great male and female friends? Or is that when Harry Met Sally thing really true? Men and women can't actually be friends, without one or both parties actually wanting more than a plain old friendship.

That's it- I will get off of my solitary soapbox for one. 

Lady Rule #42
I hope you take a note from me, and live life to the fullest regardless of being in a relationship or single. Also- I have a great handful of women that I cherish and love spending time with, who are there for me when I need them- so shout out to you gals too! 

Gentleman Rule #42
It's important to be there for the single ladies in your life. Be stand up guys they can rely on in sticky situations, because even if she's a feminist, I guarantee she thinks it's nice to be surrounded by great, reliable men. It probably also gives her hope that there will be one left, when the time comes that she's ready to settle down.

AND- if it's a date, make sure she knows. In the current world we live in, the lines are very blurry.

P.S. Several people have suggested videotaping my life for the world to see. If anyone is actually willing to follow me everywhere with a camera...the job pays in deep painful belly laughs.

No comments:

Post a Comment